Op ’n mespunt. Die ontvangs van Johannes Calvyn in die denke van Willie Jonker
Keywords:Willie Jonker, John Calvin, Reformed Theology, Pietism, Pluriformity
AbstractThis paper, originally read as the fourth Willie Jonker commemoration lecture (October 2009), explores how the central tenets of Jonker’s theology have been fundamentally shaped by John Calvin. It is argued that Jonker’s very understanding of Reformed theology is derived from Calvin. Furthermore, on three issues, Calvin plays an important role: Jonker’s insistence on the visible unity of the church, the importance of social ethics, and the church as the people of God superseding the ethnic notion of a volkskerk. The paper concludes with a list of contemporary theological and ethical issues that may be addressed from the Calvin-Jonker line of thinking.
Copyright of all NGTT material belongs to the Pieter de Waal Neethling Trust (PDWN Trust). The PDWN Trust is a trust fund established in 1932 with the aim of promoting quality theological research and publications.
The PDWN Trust pledges to maintain a legitimate scholarly record of the author’s work and to defend the author’s article against plagiarism and copyright infringement.
The PDWN Trust is committed to full Open Source publishing. This means that all articles published in NGTT will gradually be made freely available online. Authors maintain the right to:
- Share and self-archive their work.
- Make printed copies of their article for educational use.
- Present their article at a meeting or conference and distribute printed copies of the article
- Adapt and expand their published journal article to make it suitable for their thesis or dissertation.
- Republish the article (ensuring that the original article is cited as published in NGTT).
For any questions or queries in this regard, please contact the Editor.