DF Malan en die Hoër Kritiek
Keywords:DF Malan, Higher criticism, Dutch Reformed Church, Du Plessis
AbstractThe primary aim of this paper is to bring to light an important unpublished paper from 1910 by Dr DF Malan on the so-called Higher criticism. My paper throws light on Malan’s own theological position as pupil of the Dutch Ethical theologian JJP Valeton. In the ﬁrst part of my paper I try to explain the issues concerning Higher Criticism and to recount the context in which the paper was written. The second part of my paper contains the original (Dutch) text of Malan’s paper. The ﬁnal part consists of an annotated bibliography of the debate about Higher Criticism in the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa during the ﬁrst three decades of the 20th century. This serves to situate Malan’s position within the context of the Dutch Reformed Church.
Copyright of all NGTT material belongs to the Pieter de Waal Neethling Trust (PDWN Trust). The PDWN Trust is a trust fund established in 1932 with the aim of promoting quality theological research and publications.
The PDWN Trust pledges to maintain a legitimate scholarly record of the author’s work and to defend the author’s article against plagiarism and copyright infringement.
The PDWN Trust is committed to full Open Source publishing. This means that all articles published in NGTT will gradually be made freely available online. Authors maintain the right to:
- Share and self-archive their work.
- Make printed copies of their article for educational use.
- Present their article at a meeting or conference and distribute printed copies of the article
- Adapt and expand their published journal article to make it suitable for their thesis or dissertation.
- Republish the article (ensuring that the original article is cited as published in NGTT).
For any questions or queries in this regard, please contact the Editor.