Wie was die Gaius, die adressant van 3 Johannes? Enkele kantaantekeninge
Keywords:3 John, Gaius, Leadership, Diotrephes
AbstractWho was Gaius, the recipient of 3 John? A few side notes A survey is presented of both internal as well as external arguments used to identify the recipient of 3 John, namely, Gaius. Apart from what can be learned from 3 John itself, little is known about this early christian ﬁgure. In the letter itself the author is clear about the loving relationship between him and Gaius as well as Gaius’ behaviour in truth, which makes him a prototype of the ideal Johannine leader. Nevertheless, he cannot be positively identiﬁed with any of the early Christians who were also known by the common Roman name of Gaius.
Copyright of all NGTT material belongs to the Pieter de Waal Neethling Trust (PDWN Trust). The PDWN Trust is a trust fund established in 1932 with the aim of promoting quality theological research and publications.
The PDWN Trust pledges to maintain a legitimate scholarly record of the author’s work and to defend the author’s article against plagiarism and copyright infringement.
The PDWN Trust is committed to full Open Source publishing. This means that all articles published in NGTT will gradually be made freely available online. Authors maintain the right to:
- Share and self-archive their work.
- Make printed copies of their article for educational use.
- Present their article at a meeting or conference and distribute printed copies of the article
- Adapt and expand their published journal article to make it suitable for their thesis or dissertation.
- Republish the article (ensuring that the original article is cited as published in NGTT).
For any questions or queries in this regard, please contact the Editor.