De liefde van God
AbstractThe love of GodIn this essay, an attempt is made to understand what Christians mean by the love of God. Starting point for this understanding is the biblical witness about the decisive self-revealing actions of love God has performed in the history of Israel and in Jesus Christ. Then, different forms of human love are described. A definition of divine love is given in terms of elements that can be found in these forms of human love and in God’s self-revealing actions of love. Two questions about this definition that are crucial to Vincent Brümmer’s account of the love of God, are discussed. First, what is the nature of God’s longing? And second, does the love between God and human beings exclude rights and duties?
Copyright of all NGTT material belongs to the Pieter de Waal Neethling Trust (PDWN Trust). The PDWN Trust is a trust fund established in 1932 with the aim of promoting quality theological research and publications.
The PDWN Trust pledges to maintain a legitimate scholarly record of the author’s work and to defend the author’s article against plagiarism and copyright infringement.
The PDWN Trust is committed to full Open Source publishing. This means that all articles published in NGTT will gradually be made freely available online. Authors maintain the right to:
- Share and self-archive their work.
- Make printed copies of their article for educational use.
- Present their article at a meeting or conference and distribute printed copies of the article
- Adapt and expand their published journal article to make it suitable for their thesis or dissertation.
- Republish the article (ensuring that the original article is cited as published in NGTT).
For any questions or queries in this regard, please contact the Editor.